Slow callsigns

Subject: Slow callsigns
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 23:33:43 -0800 (PST)
I have found the reason some callsigns take longer to enter than
others when using the PARTIAL CALL MULT INFO ENABLE feature (which
shows you the multiplier status of callsigns as you enter them).

If you look at the CTY.DAT file at all the prefixes listed for
Canada, you will see a lot of entries.  This makes it take longer
to verify a callsign is in Canada because the program has to check
through the whole list.  When doing a multiplier check, it is doing
this same operation many times.  The counties with long lists take
longer (like VK).

I think I can fix this with a few tricks (like remembering that last
callsign I did a country look up on and having the answer available
quickly).

This will be in 5.93 which is about to hatch.

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com