ARRL DX CW : Misc events

Subject: ARRL DX CW : Misc events
From: N7DR@sff.net (D. R. Evans)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:00:20 -0700
> On 16 Feb 97 at 21:38, Larry Tyree <tree@lady.axian.com> wrote:

> Eric, WD9GGY writes:
>
> >     a) Boy, it would be nice to have some kind of reminder before you
> > exit the program that you still have packet connected! It asks you
> > about clearing the 5 Qso window...maybe at the same time it could ask,
> > "Hey dummy, have you disconnected from your packet cluster?"
> >
> >     When I forget (that's a key word!) to disconnect before exiting
> >     TR,
> > I have to restart TR and then disconnect from the cluster.
>
> TR really doesn't know the status of your packet connection.  It would
> take a lot of code to montior what you are doing.

Presumably it knows whether packet is in use, though. If so, a simple
"Have you logged out of packet? [Y/N]" type question is all that's
necessary.

I confess that for the last several contests, I've forgotten to log out
of packet. (And I also confess that since the first thing I do at the end
of a contest is switch everything off, I couldn't be bothered to be nice
like Eric and I let the PacketCluster software handle the fact that I've
gone away.)

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ                       N7DR@sff.net
Co-chair, 1997 Nebula Novel Jury

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR/drevans.htp