[TRLog] UNCLE!!

Subject: [TRLog] UNCLE!!
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
Well - that will teach me to think out loud!

Thanks for all of the good input.  I probably won't be able to reply
to everyone individually.

I think I have been convinced to allow a mode to print the frequency
instead of band.  However, this does take up more room and might push
the log entries beyond 80 characters.  CT got around this problem by
not printing the sent information, but I don't think this is a good
idea.  As you might have heard, there were some disqualifications in
the All Asian test from people that used CT because of this.  Also, I
know the CQ Contest committee is concerned about the same issue.

As everyone has point out - this format will not be downloadable into
the after contest logging programs.  You will have to bug them to come
up with a new routine.  I might take another look at the ADIF format
and see if it makes sense to use that.

As far as editing QSOs beyond the last five, this is one of the prices
paid for using an ASCII file.  Unless I keep the file in memory and
rewrite the whole file after every QSO (which would force me to use
a binary file because you can write a binary file much faster), we
are going to have to live with it.  I still believe that this isn't
something you should be doing very often - and you can still exit the
program, make your changes and then restart.  Perhaps I can reduce
the cost of restarting by saving the band map somewhere.

Concerning POST - occasionally I put effort into making POST an easier
to use tool.  Perhaps I will do this again sometime soon, but please
understand it is a secondary priority compared to TR.  Another way
of saying that is my primary focus will always be what happens during
the contest.

The INSTALL program comes after POST!

So - on my slate for the next couple of months:

1. Freq display in log file.
2. Time stamp of packet spots displayed.
3. Get split frequency data from radio.
4. QSX support for packet (both receiving and sending).
5. Add splits to band map.
6. Allow editing of packet spots before they go out.
7. Highlight band map entries that are multipliers.
8. Improve POST support for VHF contests.
9. Look at VK/ZL contest to see if I can improve scoring.
10. Try to understand why the IC737 split works different than others.
11. Fix band map being rewritten twice under some circumstances.
12. Improve frequency memory and allow user configurability.
13. ARCI scoring improvments (maybe too hard).
14. Show dayes of CTY.DAT files when asking if you want to overwrite.
15. Show time of last QSO on bands/modes.
16. Execute LOGCFG.DAT type files while contest running.
17. Allow LOGCFG.DAT files to be executed by timer.
18. Jump into S&P mode if VFO tuned.
19. Band map saved to a file (separate from RESTART.BIN).
20. Simple keystoke to get to end of long with Control-L.
21. More multi-multi stuff (long list).

Tree