[TRLog] General QSO and contests

Subject: [TRLog] General QSO and contests
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR97BrettGraham)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 10:36:35 +0000
K5TR wrote:

 I have seen several messages about trying to use the
 General QSO mode to setup unsupported contests.

 It is usually better to start with a contest and modifiy that
 as the General QSO mode does not usually modifiy well
 into a contest log.

General QSO mode isn't a contest, so George's advice makes sense - start
with something that is.

It is interesting that a few folks were looking for mults in General QSO,
though. It would be nice if it did this, but clearly nothing can be changed
without breaking backwards LOG.DAT compatibility.

But it just occured to me that there might be a way to accomodate mults in
General QSO, if only for the casual operator interested in something like
DXCC countries, by having a QSO point method which gives you a point for a
new one mult & zero points if not.  And as best as my feeble mind can tell,
this also leaves LOG.DAT backwards compatibility intact (a problem which
Tree found a clever way around in the case of logging frequencies).

Having typed that, I now realize that this idea blurs the demarcation
between mults & QSO points, so maybe it won't work after all.  Let me
conclude by saying that I wish more people used General QSO mode for casual
operating & found the lack of mults a potential area for improvement.

73, VR97BrettGraham