[TRLog] LOGCONV by KA5WSS

Subject: [TRLog] LOGCONV by KA5WSS
From: kirk@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (Kirk Pickering)
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:44:33 -0500
George (K5TR) thanks for the pointer to this great little utility.

Robert (KA5WSS) your LOGCONV is a great utility.  My $5.00 is on the way.

There is one small problem I'm having.  I am using the program to convert
mostly from TR-Log to DXBase SDF.  Your program *finally* does something
none of the other utilities could do, and that is handling the Section-to-State
conversions for the DXBase SDF file properly.  Bravo!  Here's the problem...

DXBase expects the State Field to be in all UPPER case.  Your program
does everything correctly except convert the case of the State Field to
UPPER case.  You clearly state in the README file that the DXBase routines
have *not* been tested, and that 1.40 should be considered "beta."
Please consider this a field report for the beta version.

I solved the problem with the following UNIX command:

        tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]' < naqp8p97.sdf > NAQP8P97.sdf

which simply converted the entire file to uppercase.  The new file with
an UPPER case State Field imported right into DXBase without a hitch.

Perhaps your routine could be modified to do this conversion automatically?
I noticed that the STSEC.DAT file contents were all in UPPER case, but it
still output the State Field in mixed case (e.g. Tn for TN.)

This was for the North American QSO Party Contests, converting from TR-Log
to DXBase SDF.  I had the same results with both the phone and CW contests.

The windows browser interface is great.  Other than the SDF State Field,
this little converter works FB!  Thanks again for a great utility.

-Kirk  K4RO