[TRLog] Typical lid CT user

Subject: [TRLog] Typical lid CT user
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:22:12 -0500 (CDT)
H. L. Serra writes:

>Hi George- Saw your note about PTT and TR. Does it tend to pull RF into
>the computer on the PTT line from the computer interface connection?
>Moreover, how does TR know where the PTT connection is on the plug? I have
>my radio set as "TENTEC OMNI VI" in TR. Does it know what to do inside the
>OMNI VI interface to close PTT at key-down before keying xmtr? 73 Larry
>N6NC (ex-N6AZE)

Ahhh...Let me see if I can explain this.

TR-Log provides a PTT signal on the LPT port of the computer.
In order to take advantage of this you need to wire up a PTT
interface (just like the CW interface) on your LPT port.
The PTT signal can be set by the user (keyup and keydown delay)
so that the radio/amp whatever is fully keyed BEFORE any CW is sent.
It also ensures that the relays do not drop out between dits
at ANY CW speed.

The way that this PTT signal is setup on the LPT port causes
the LPT port to more sensetive to RFI even if you are not using
the PTT signal.  If you are having RFI problems sometimes you
can cure them by setting the command PTT ENABLE = FALSE.

CT does not have this PTT signal and sometimes I hear that
the user did not have RFI in his keying port with CT - So
disabling PTT signal in TR-Log will make the port like CT. (no PTT)

I of course sugggest that you build a PTT interface and use
it because it is way cool and a better way to key your amps/rigs.
Use other measures to get rid of the RFI in your computer.

There - was that long enough?

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.     "It is hard to be in one place at the same time."