[TRLog] TR keying questions

Subject: [TRLog] TR keying questions
From: ae2t@bigfoot.com (Al Gritzmacher)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:02:56 -0400
At 07:32 PM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I am guessing at the tr-log reflector address and also CC:ing to
>the contest reflector - please don't burn me to a crisp as I am not sure
>of the addresses and I'm stuck!
>
>Having a slight problem making the keying circuit work for sending CW
>through TR to my rig (using the parallel port).  I have the 10k
>pullup resistors installed on the inputs from the paddle and substituted
>a 2N4124 for the 2N2222 keying transistor.  When I touch the paddle,
   ^^^^^^
Was there a reason for this, or was it just because you had those in
the junk box?

The reason I ask, is I've been trying to get an interface working with the
SBDVP software and am having trouble with this circuit for the PTT function.

The circuit is working on CW, but on phone it apparently can't pull the PTT
line low enough. It goes halfway into transmit, but not all the way. Funny,
distorted audio through the monitor and less than full RF output results,
but if PTT is manually asserted, the audio is clean and all is normal.

I also had trouble getting the DVP line to operate a relay. Finally had to use
a 5 volt relay to amke it work, even though I have an external 12v source
supplying the power to it.

>From my measurements, the PTT line is being pulled low, but not to zero on my
TS-850. Any suggestions or advice? I've always used this circuit successfully on
CW, but this is the first venture into a DVP. I'm sure others are confused
about
this circuit, what is the strobe line supposed to do?

Does anyone have any better circuits worked out? I've seen the one with
opto-isolators,
but can't get any of them quickly. At this point, I'm going to skip the DVP
for CQWW, but
would like to have it working for Sweepstakes.

TIA - 73,

Al AE2T