[TRLog] DVP Sound for Contesting

Subject: [TRLog] DVP Sound for Contesting
From: dick@pobox.com (Dick Isely)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:24:59 -0600
27 OCT - 1715 CST

Gentlemen...

Using the K1EA DVP card is not an exact science.  But Mark, N5OT, is right
on target when he talks about using all the letter combinations and
adjusting the time delay options to get a "natural sound" -- after you have
absolutely no outside RF getting into your computer.

It is a very time-consuming process - I have spent up to half a day getting
it
to sound quite "natural".  And this has to be redone for every contest if
you want to truly make the DVP sound invisible to the person on the other
end of
the QSO.  This is because your voice changes slightly from day to day.  You
don't notice this unless you were to compare recordings of the exact same
text (DVP files) made over a period of days or weeks.

I have used the DVP for several sweepstakes contests and several times I have
had people refuse to believe I was using the card to generate the entire
response.  However, I don't consider the card to be practical for DX
contests except to call CQ - due to the language differences among the
operators, and
far greater differences in band conditions.

I will be in the SSB Sweepstakes this year.  But I have yet to decide if I am
going to take the time to properly program my DVP this time around....

- Dick Isely, W9GIG