[TRLog] RAT (tm) meter

Subject: [TRLog] RAT (tm) meter
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:05:12 -0600
On Wednesday, November 05, 1997 5:19 AM, John Brosnahan[SMTP:broz@csn.net]
wrote:

>The most important thing for the "RAT meter (tm)" to do is to act as a
>"carrot" for the operator urging him on to keep pushing it up higher.

John,
For us RAT Log users, wouldn't "cheese" be more appropriate?

Tree:
Will the manual be retitled to something like "The RAT Stuff"?

And I agree with the meter/counter postings...I had no idea what it meant.
When it dropped below 30, then panic would set in....I was panic'ed
a lot!

Years ago, I built a K9CW microprocessor keyer.  I added an
outboard ratemeter to it using discrete integrated (is that an
oxymoron?) circuits.  It looked at the last 7.5 minutes and counted
the number of 1's (QSO's) in that range and calculated the rate.
I broke it down to 30 second increments to handle up to 120 QPH.
(I figured beyond 120, I would be too busy to be looking at the meter.
Besides, each increment required doubling the number of shift registers.).

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u