[TRLog] Radio-Interface IC706MKII]

Subject: [TRLog] Radio-Interface IC706MKII]
From: k6xx@mail.jps.net (Bob Wolbert)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 09:56:49 -0800
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 09:55:31 -0800
From: Bob Wolbert <k6xx@mail.jps.net>
To: "G. JACOT" <f2jd@sinfo.net>
CC: icom@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TRLog] Radio-Interface IC706MKII

G. JACOT wrote:

> Subject: Radio Interface IC-706
>
> I have an ICOM 706 MKII and ICOM CT-17 interface (CI-V Level Converter)
> My ICOM users manual is not with me (HP1).
> Anyone using an IC706 that can give me infos to interface with TR-log
> Thanks
> 73's  GERARD  F2JD/HP1XBI
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/trlogfaq.html
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:         http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html
Hi, Gerard.

Yes, Icom surely makes it difficult! They do not provide a standard
amplifier key-line output: what they have is their internal T/R
switching line pinned out on several of the connectors: both mic jacks,
the RTTY connector, and the 13-pin DIN.

I took the 13 pin DIN output and added a two transistor buffer/inverter.
You must NOT connect your amp directly to the T/R line, since it is
pulled up to only 8V. Connecting an amp will most likely cause extensive
"grief" to the rig.

I do not have the patience to draw an ascii schematic: here is the
verbal description.

Components: 2 generic NPN transistors, 2n2222, 2N3094, etc. 100k
resistor, 3.3k resistor.

13-Pin DIN      Component
2 (Ground)       ground--emitters of both transistors, plus ground
connection to amp.
3 (HF SEND)      100k resistor (other end of resistor connects to base
of Q1)
8 (+13.8V)       3.3k pull-up to collector of Q1 and base of Q2.

Collector of Q2 goes to the amplifier key line.

The resistors were calculated to allow drive to an Ameritron amp, which
requires the rig sink about 100mA. The Kenwood amp needs less current, I
believe, so the circuit should work.

hope this is clear.

73 de Bob, K6XX