[TRLog] multi stuff

Subject: [TRLog] multi stuff
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:42:26 -0800 (PST)
I was doing some testing of the multi info message last night and
didn't find anything wrong...  however, there are probably some
things about this that people need to know if they are going to
use it.

The main thing is that there isn't any information passed out on the
network unless things are happening.  For example, the information
is updated whenever F1 or F2 is pressed to call CQ (or RETURN).
It is also updated whenever you go into Search and Pounce mode.

Therefore, you need to do more than just set the multi info message
to some non null entry.  Other than these issues, it seemed that
everything was working with respect to this feature.

If you don't have an interfaced radio, you can still display
your CQ frequency by entering it in the call window and pressing
RETURN.

The one thing I did do last during my testing is accidently delete
my general QSO log (I thought I was in a different directory and
deleted everything).  Before I realized what I had done, I had
started the program up and this made it more difficult to recover.

At WRTC, the OH team lost most of their log with what looked like a
DOS glitch (the LOG.DAT file magically became truncated).  At that
time, I thought how nice it would be to have a routine that scanned
through all of the sectors of the disk and if any of them had what
looked like a log entry in them, it would append that sector to
a file on a floopy disk.  The guts of such a routine were created
last night and it basically works.  I need to add some criteria
to it, so you only get log entries after or on a certain date.

One could then use a text editor on the file to put the pieces of
the puzzle back together (if you disk isn't very fragmented, this
will probably already be all done for you).

This didn't recover all of my data - probably because I had to do
a bunch of disk activity to write the procedure, but hopefully
this routine will save the day for someone someday.  The key is
to do nothing that would write new data to the hard drive and
to save the output of this procedure onto a differnet disk (i.e.
a floppy).

Tree