[TRLog] VK bug

Subject: [TRLog] VK bug
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 22:52:19 -0700 (PDT)
It has been interesting to see all of the data presented on the
reflector about the "VK bug".

I tried to locate the bug real quickly on Friday as the folks at
KO6N (aka N6RO) called up and told me about it.  They also had a
"beep" on all of the computers when anyone pressed a CQ function
key.

At least I fixed that one right away for them.

So, it turns out I left a "WriteLn" command in which was inserted
for debugging purposes (for both of the bugs).  The one that created
the VK bug was left in the GetIARUZone routine.

You might wonder how this causes the problem for VE and VK and
not many other countries.  BTW, the only other country that was
affected was Asiatic Russia.

When I go compute a beam heading, I do it to the longitude and latitude
in the CTY.DAT file - except for USA, VK, VE and UA9.  For the last
three, I look to see what the ITU zone is and determine the best beam
heading from that (much better resolution than CQ zones).

So, this problem would have shown up in the IARU contest too.

Verstion 6.27 will have both bugs fixed - sorry for the problems.

Tree