[TRLog] Re: COM port CW keyer

Subject: [TRLog] Re: COM port CW keyer
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:32:23 -0500 (CDT)
Marty KM7W wrote:

> I'd like to try to use the CW features of the contest logging software.
> I have a design from TRLog, which indicates a CW and PTT interface.
> With the TS-50, I only need one (I think) that will act as a tip positive
> straight key.
>
> Can I disregard the PTT stuff when I put this together (what could be
> simpler than a 2n2222 and a 1K resistor?)

Yes.  I don't bother with the PTT interface.  Someday (yeah right)
I do plan to hook up the PTT line to key my amp.  It should help with
the shortened first-character syndrome.  Of course by that time I may
actually have a QSK-equipped amp, so the point will be moot. :-)

> Any drawbacks to this interface I need to be aware of before I assemble it?

Sometimes if the pull-up resistor value is not right, you can get
strange results.  Like it going di-dah-di-dah-di-dah ad infinitum.
Try the suggested value and deviate from there, usually higher, if
you have problems.  Plan to put some toroids in the line; I'm having
a problem on 10 meters at full power on one of my interfaces.

> Also, with this design, how can I "Y" connect my normal paddles/keyer
> in line?  I'd think this is necessary ...

I agree it is necessary to have the paddles Y'ed.  The best way, IMHO,
is to hook your paddles directly to TR, and let TR be your keyer.  The
main advantage here is that touching the paddles automatically aborts
any CW memory message that may be playing, and the speed is consistent.
It's very smooth.

You can use a single parallel port to provide 2-conductor keying output
to your radio, as well as a 3-conductor paddle input, per the manual.
Using TR as your keyer also has real advantages in 2-radio operation.
The computer does the switching for you, and makes it impossible to
transmit on both radios simultaneously.  This is how I do it.

Good luck, I think you'll really like TR-Log's CW features.

-Kirk  K4RO