[TRLog] NONSSB keyboard lockup?

Subject: [TRLog] NONSSB keyboard lockup?
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:47:15 -0500 (CDT)
I wonder if anyone has made any discoveries regarding
the NONSSB lockups some of us experienced in the IARU?

I've tried to re-create the event, but again, it occurs
seemingly at random.  It's tough to make it happen in
a non-contest (test) environment.  My test environment
was running both radios at high speed, pretending to
run on radio one and S&P on radio two, just not engaging
the radios VOX (not transmitting.)  The imaginary rates
were great. :-)  I was only able to make the NONSSB event
occur once, and it immediately "snapped backed" to the
radio's frequency, thanks to the feature Tree recently added.

Then I found a lonely frequency on 15 & 10 and tried it
sending CQ's with power.  Again, I was able to make the NONSSB
event occur once, out of about 5 minutes of sending TEST K4RO.
This was after I used my existing log with 1270 some QSO's as
the starting point.  (The radio interface seemed to slow down
slightly as the log grows.  I may be imagining it.)

It's wierd.  I swear it happend a hundred+ times during IARU,
to the point where I could hardly use the keyboard.  Now, I'm
having real trouble repeating the same error.  I have a sick
feeling that the problem will return in spades in the middle
of the NAQP and Sprint contests, since it seems to only appear
in real time contest situations. :-(

I'm going to try better shielding and yet more toroids, and see
if that helps.  Everything is already done with good RG-174 and
properly shielded connectors.  I'm probably grasping at straws
now with more ferrite, but I'll try anything.

What baud rate do you IC-765 owners use with TR-Log?
What ICOM COMMAND PAUSE values do you use?  Any other ideas
on what I might try to solve this?  Thanks for any input.

-Kirk  K4RO