[TRLog] TRMASTER and missing SCP calls

Subject: [TRLog] TRMASTER and missing SCP calls
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:17:34 -0800 (PST)
> I got off to an awful start with TR crashing back to the DOS prompt
> with Run-Time errors on me again and again - aaarrgghh!!!.

Can you tell me what the error was and addresses?

> It was a huge 6.4Mb base of calls and names, presumably it should
> have come with a health warning about needing lots of RAM?

It really doesn't need lots of ram.  However, I have never
dealt with that big of a .DTA file before, so perhaps you can
make it available for me to test with.

> TR never crashed when I tested it at home with just a few qsos - I
> should
> have tested it thoroughly with a big log and CVB voice recordings
> in RAM to really thrash it out. 1 hour into the contest is too late
> to realise 8MB of ram isn't enough.

I don't think RAM is the problem.

> Near the end of the contest I was not getting SCP calls. (SCP = 3)
> I would type the first 3 letters - get a few possibles - not the right
> call -
> finish typing in the call - press spacebar only to find it a DUPE!
>
> It really was a big waste of time  - near the end of the contest,
> when everyone's been worked, I had to keep typing in
> their whole callsigns over and over again :-(

You probably were running low on lower memory.  Did you notice what
the free memory display was reporting?  The SCP function will disable
itself when you get low.  You should have seen the dupes in the lower
display however.

> I find it hard to believe my venerable 486DX33 8Mb is too
> slow to Dupe check 500 calls as fast as I can type them
> especially at the stage of the contest where it's hard to find
> the spacebar.

The speed issue is probably a result of the big .DTA file.  It is
more a function of the disk speed than the processor.  Having a big
disk cache or putting the TRMASTER file in a RAM disk would speed
things up a lot (in which case, you would need more than 8 MB so
that you had enough room to hold the whole file).

> Can I add something to the wish list?   Please can TR be made to
> use CTs bearing info for rotator control?

Which rotator?

Tree