[TRLog] wiring TR (comp) to MP

Subject: [TRLog] wiring TR (comp) to MP
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:29:20 -0800 (PST)

> Feel like a dummy asking such a question, but I'm stumped!  First, I
> need to know if anybody out there has interfaced computer running TR to
> a FT-1000MP. Then, if u have, or have a similar situation, please help me
> with the following:

Yes - I did this weekend.

> 1)  In the TR manual, suggested circuits 'A' are supposed to be wired
> between what connectors and what pins on the MP?

The key jack on the MP.

> 2)  When TR is doing CW from the KB, where is the output from the
> computer coming from?  The serial or parallel port?  From the diagrams
> included in the TR manual, it looks to me like the cw from the KB comes
> out on pin 4 of the RS-232 serial port and the PTT comes out on pin 7.
> Does the serial out and serial in come from pins 2 and 3?

The CW can come from the serial port or the parallel port.

> 3)  I noticed that the CAT connector on the MP, according to the
> pin-outs shown on Pg. 4 of the MP manual, are reversed wrt the normal
> way RS-232 is pinned.  IE....CAT connector has pin 5 and 6 on the same
> side of the connector.  Usually it is 5 and 9.

I dont know about this - I just used a standard db9-db9 serial
calbe between the computer and the MP - worked great first time.

I think your confussion is that the CW keying is not on
the smae port or wiring as the computer control fo the MP.

The MP is controled by the computer on the serial line.
You then need to build or buy and interface like the  one
described in the TR manaul and plug that into the KEY jack
on the back of your radio.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas