[TRLog] Exchange parsing to improve 2 radio efficiency

Subject: [TRLog] Exchange parsing to improve 2 radio efficiency
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:44:17 -0800 (PST)
> I passed a couple of e-mail messages back and forth with Dave, K6LL,
> and while this is fresh wanted to put out something for you to consider
> re:  SS operating with two radios.
>
> Rig #1: Calling CQ on one band.
> Rig #2: S&P on a separate band.
>
> I've just come across a station on rig 2 and load him in with Alt-D
> for a QSO.  Press F1 for a CQ on rig 1.  Hit the space bar for the
> QSO on radio 2, and I automatically get another CQ off on rig 1 as
> the S&Ped station on rig 2 is starting to send his exchange to me.
>
> Now, while this is happening, my CQ on rig 1 has ended and I am going
> into a slow sweat as the S&P station is still transmitting to me.
> Or, someone has come back to me on rig 1 during the copying of the S&P
> exchange on rig 2.  Again, the slow sweat because I can't answer him!
>
> I'd like to be able to do one of two things (or both?):  a) run off
> another CQ somehow on rig 1 while copying the rig 2 exchange
> if no one came back to the initial CQ.  If someone did come back to
> the first CQ, or does come back to the second CQ,

This is what I do.  Press F7 or F8 and you will get a CQ on your
run radio.  It has the Control-A (send this on the "inactive" radio
command) command at the front of the message.

> b) how about allowing
> to be able to add the callsign being copied in response to the CQ on
> rig 1 at the same time as the exchange on rig 2, rather than
> automatically CQing again on rig 1 after I have sent the exchange on
> rig 2?

Well, you can't enter it into the exchange field.  What I did
was abort the final CQ with and escape key and then enter the
callsign - or just send a question mark with F9.

> I am copying 1054 B W5WMU 67 LA on rig 2.  I hear a response "K6LL"
> to my CQ on rig 1.  It would be absolutely fabulous if I could type
> in 1054 B W5WMU 67 LA /K6LL into the exchange window.  Then, rig 1
> sends "K6LL" on its' band, autoswitches back to rig 2 to transmit my
> exchange "555 Q W4PA 82 TN" to W5WMU, rolls back over to rig 1 to
> send "556 Q W4PA 82 TN" to K6LL.  Or, (better!) how about parsing
> the exchange between radios?

This seems pretty tricky...

> Rig 1:  "555 Q" (to W5WMU)
> Rig 2:  "K6LL 556 Q" (to K6LL)
> Rig 1:  "W4PA" (to W5WMU)
> Rig 2:  "W4PA" (to K6LL)
> Rig 1:  "82 TN" (to W5WMU)
> Rig 2:  "82 TN" (to K6LL)
>
> ...and now ready to type in K6LL's exchange on the run (#1) radio.

For the four or five times that this happens in a contest, I think
the risk of introducing new bugs outweighs the benefit of this feature.

> Two QSO's completed virtually simultaneously, in real time, within
> the confines of "one signal at a time".

What if someone asks for a fill?  What if they both do?

> The name of this is efficiency and being able to capitalize on copying
> two CW signals simultaneously.  Am I out of my nut or is this feasible?
> If anyone's going to be able to pull this off, it's your software I'm
> betting on.

I think it is too complex and you would probably only use it a
couple of times in a contest - thus with no big impact to your
score.

Tree