[TRLog] CW Sprint Date

Subject: [TRLog] CW Sprint Date
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: 25 Aug 1999 17:24:59 -0000
Just a note to everyone on this list that the CW Sprint is coming
up on the 4th of September - not the 11th as shown in February's
results.  I realize this is a holiday weekend, but I hope most of
you can make it on to hand out some QSOs.

If you have never operated the Sprint before - this might be a
good time to give it a try.  It is one of the most intense radio
experiences out there.

Here are some pointers for the first timer:

1. The code speeds typically used are over 30 WPM - however, if you
are not comfortable at that speed - feel free to call CQ at your own
speed and people will QRS for you.  A good place to do this is above
the concentration of activity (typically around 55 or 60 kHz above
the band edge).  Most sprint operators keep an ear out for slower speed
stations up there.  The QRM is also less.

2. The QSY rule is unique to the sprints.  If you call CQ and work someone
as a result - when you are done - you must QSY at least 5 kHz to call
another CQ.  This means the guy who answered your CQ inherits your
frequency.

3. A good way to increase rate is to find someone who is just finishing
up a QSO and call them.  After the QSO is complete - you inherit the
frequency and can work another station.  You get two QSOs for each
frequency instea of just one if you were only CQing.

4. The contest starts at 00Z on Sept 5th (Sept 4th local time in the
USA).  It goes for four hours.  Activity will initially be on 20 meters.
Stations start QSYing to 40 around 0115 UTC, but there will still be
activity on 20 as last as 0230 UTC.  The last hour of the contest is
mostly spent on 80 meters.  After the contest - many people check in
on 3830 to exchange scores and stories.

Full rules can be found in QST or at http://www.waterw.com/~ncj/.
The exchange is a QSO number - your name and state/province/dx country.

If you have any questions - please send me e-mail and I will do my
best to make your first sprint as much fun as I can.

73 Tree N6TR
n6tr@contesting.com