[TRLog] SMARTDRV - not too smart

Subject: [TRLog] SMARTDRV - not too smart
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:38:22 GMT
Actually what I would have done for field day, since the hard drive is
fast, is ...smartdrv.exe a+ just to cache the floppy write, and set
TRLOG to keep the log current on the hard drive (forget that option
name or whether it is a default).

The floppy save is just for a total blowout, eg powersupply meltdown,
computer shoved off table onto a concrete floor while running, etc.
Set the save for 10 mins or 15 mins.

It is a different thing if you are running at home on the protected
side of a ups, which by the way is a good idea also for field day
operation. At home + ups I use a+ c+ and if the computer stuff goes
entirely west in the middle of a contest, I will probably pull the big
switch and take my lady out to dinner and a movie. Any chance I had to
be competitive or outdo my personal best just went out the window.

YMMV.

Guy.

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:34:38 -0500, you wrote:

>>Just though of one thing which should be placed AT THE FRONT of the
>>manual, and in BIG, BOLD letters.  This is a note to users about
>>ADDING the following line to their CONFIG.SYS file:
>>
>>    lh c:\windows\command\smartdrv.exe a+ c+
>>or
>>    lh c:\dos\smartdrv.exe a+ c+
>
>WHOA.... DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER !!!!  ( imagine flailing robot arms :-) )

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV
k2av@qsl.net