[TRLog] Serial #, Pathological behavior in a network

Subject: [TRLog] Serial #, Pathological behavior in a network
From: dawley@execpc.com (Scott Dawley)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:20:30 -0800 (PST)
Yup...Daniel has described exactly the scenario
I was testing, but instead of knocking on a wall,
#2 operator was sitting next to me on a networked
#2 computer. When #1 was transmitting, #2 could
wait, and vice-versa. But the serial #'s got hosed
in the process if either op was in the middle of a
QSO!

If anyone worked the entire contest that way,
it could very well invalidate their entire log!!!

Wonder what a negative score would look like...

--- "Violette, Daniel R"
<Daniel.Violette@West.Boeing.com> wrote:

> We had it happen once too.  We did not read the new
> rules soon enough to see
> the unlimited band change rule for Multi-Single, so
> we used a beat on wall
> signal and only did it for 1 hour on 40M run and 80M
> S&P (I am too young to
> have an octupus laying around).  Well, I had
> remembered people suggesting
> that serial numbers be 'reserved' because this can
> happen and I was watching
> out for it on the very few Q's we made in the second
> radio.  Here is how it
> went:
>
> station a=cq radio, b=s&p radio (need to look at log
> to get all the specific
> details)
>
> A:  CQ on 40M
> B:  Finding a new one on 80M
> A: gets called by N6BF (something like that)
> A: give N6BF exchange with #518 (I seem to remember)
> B: beats on wall and calls K7RAT (that I remember)
> A: type in exchange from N6BF and pause while....
> B: gives K7RAT #518 in exchange by hitting enter
> A: hits enter to QSL and number is now #519 but gave
>
> We stopped trying this.  Only looking for mults on
> second station.  With one
> op this would be tough to do, doing 2 exchanges at a
> time.
>
> Dan KI6X (@K6NX)

=====
Please direct any replies to