[TRLog] auto S&P enable, etc.

Subject: [TRLog] auto S&P enable, etc.
From: charlieo@tellabs.com (charlieo@tellabs.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:41:06 -0600 (CST)
Greetings, fellow TR users

No bugs or gripes, just a couple suggestions for enhancements.

During this past weekend's CW SS contest, I noticed that sometimes I would not
go into S&P mode after running.  In my logcfg.dat file, I had

        AUTO S&P ENABLE = TRUE

I noticed this when, after running for awhile, I would start to tune the band.
Eventually I would come across a station to work and hit RETURN.  I wasn't
always watching the monitor to verify that I was in S&P mode, and instead of
sending my callsign, I would send my CQ exchane.  This caused some interesting
moments and no doubt increased the qrm level to the station I was calling.  I
usually end up operating with my rigs monitor off to save my ears.

This morning, I verified this action by having TR in CQ mode, then slowly
tuning
the rig.  It stayed in CQ mode.  However, if I gave the knob a good quick spin,
TR went into S&P mode.

Looking at v6.39 of the manual, I see that the description for this logcfg.dat
switch says:

        "When this parameter is true, the program will automatically
         jump into S&P mode if it detects you have moved the VFO more
         than one kilohertz in a second."

Well, I guess TR was working properly according to the description.  But, is it
possible to have the amount of freq change in a second to be user defined?

I think that some indication of how much time that you've spent running or
S&P'ing would be usefull.  The indicator would reset when you change from one
the other.  Another indication of either the number of qso's or the percentage
of the current total qso's in CQ and S&P would be usefull, too.  The reason
that
I think these indicators would be usefull is that in conjunction with the rate
information, you would be able to make a more informed operating strategy
decision (should I run or search?) in real time without having to look at any
notes that you had written.  I sometimes jot down either the time or the qso
number or both when I start a run and then use this to help me determine other
things... like band changes, etc.

73,

Charlie  N9CO