[TRLog] Lockups

Subject: [TRLog] Lockups
From: LRod@pobox.com (LRod@pobox.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 05:19:06 -0000

> ...and told me to put  "STACKS=18,512" in the CONFIG.SYS file.  I tried this
> and so far no more lockups!!   I then took a look at the CONFIG.SYS file in
> my 486 PC and sure enough it has "STACKS=9,256" in it. Don't know why the
> numbers are different, but my laptop seems to work fine now.

This may be old hat or too simple to mention, but contrary to what it may
appear, those numbers are not eighteen thousand five hundred twelve, and nine
thousand two hundred fifty six. They mean 18 stacks by 512 bytes or 9 stacks
by 256 bytes.

If memory serves from the DOS days, the STACKS command (like the
LASTDRIVE command) is optional and DOS plays just fine without it. You
might try skipping it altogether.

With 95 (or 98) having been in place for 5 years now, some of this old DOS
stuff may start to become a lost art.

73, Rod K4QG     |  It's pronounced
                          |  "jig-a-byte"
                          |  Look it up.