[TRLog] TRLog in Linux

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in Linux
From: dick@pobox.com (dick@pobox.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:49:11 -0500
30 JUN, 2000 - 1330 CDT

I too would like to have a Linux version of TRLog.  But I also agree
with all the reasons presented so far that demonstrate why it may be
a long time - if ever - in coming.

 From a programming point of view, it would probably be easier to build
a Linux (or Windows) based contest logging program from scratch.  And
this is what I think will happen in the not too distant future.  In the
realm of Amateur Radio computer software, *contest* logging software is
about the only product that has not been written outside of the DOS
environment.

Why do I believe this will happen?  Two phrases come to mind:

1. high-speed LANs (100 Base-T or better)
2. IR, USB, firewire, etc.

DOS will never be able to fully utilize these computer features and
whatever else shows up.

BTW, my LAN communications server is using Debian Linux.  Granted it's
not the most user-friendly software around.  But except for one software
tweaking session, it's been up continuously since the middle of last
December.  How long do you think a Windows OS 7x24 server will run
without re-booting before it crashes?

Dick Isely, W9GIG