[TRLog] Help with my Memory

Subject: [TRLog] Help with my Memory
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:43:37 -0600

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:22:19 -0700 "Richard Zalewski"
<w7zr@redrivernet.com> writes:

> I am having memory problems...with my computer.  Here are
> parameters:
>
> Running Windows 98- FIRST edition
> 98M of memory
> TR V 6.51
>
> 1.  When I start up windows and shell out to DOS and start TR to run
> WAE I have
> 55376 of memory.  Should be no problem
>
> 2.  When I do a command prompt only boot, I get the message "not
> enough memory
> for prefix rec!!" and the program crashes.
>
> 3.  When I do a shut down to dos prompt I get the same message as #
> 2 above.
>
> My autoexec.bat is:
> Path= C:\windows;D:\amateur\trlog;C:\Windows\Command
>
> My config.sys is:
> Files=100
> Dos=umb
> Fcbs=16,0

Hi Dick,

I've never used Win98, but here are some things that help some
computers under Win95.

Add to autoexec.bat
LOADHIGH SMARTDRV C+
(Has nothing to do with more memory, but speeds up logging).

Turn the computer completely off.

Turn the computer on, and during bootup, when "starting Windows"
appears on the screen, hit F8.

Select the option for step-by-step confirmation.

As each option appears, select NO for the ones that won't be
required for TR. Do not start Windows.

I know this is a pain in the neck, but I've seen some computers,
such as the laptop we used in Slovenia, where this is the only
way I could get it to work.

Good luck.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear, CA