[TRLog] No DOS box in Windows Millenium? That true?

Subject: [TRLog] No DOS box in Windows Millenium? That true?
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:57:15 -0700
On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:45:59 -0500, Robert Brandon wrote:

>Using the option to boot Windows into DOS is a mixed blessing -- it will
>load HIMEM.SYS and other basic memory management files.  But it may also
>load other things that aren't necessary, such as CD-ROM or sound card
>drivers.  These can rob the conventional memory that TR uses.

With Win98, booting into DOS doesn't necessarily have to load
HIMEM.SYS or anything else, for that matter.  Go to your autoexec.bat
and config.sys files and rem out anything you don't want.  Win98 will
boot into DOS without ANYTHING in either file, and for most apps will
work just fine.  Both my files are completely empty except for a
callbook path statement, and all my DOS programs work perfectly.
Win98 handles all those chores in the background, just like it's
designed to do.

YMMV, so proceed carefully, but give it a try.

73, Bill W7TI