[TRLog] trlog and windows summary

Subject: [TRLog] trlog and windows summary
From: gbaron@home.com (Gilbert Baron)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:32:49 -0500

WIN ME IS STILL BUILT like all previous version. It is NOT anything at ALL
like NT.

HOWEVER, the difference is that REAL MODE dos is NOT accessible easily form
WINME. This means that you cannot start a full screen COMMAND only from
WINME like you can from windows at boot time.

I do not have ME so cannot say how it will run. I suspect that it will run
fine from the command window IF that is available. You cannot use CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC .BAT so that can be a real problem.

If you have ME the best thing to do is probably to use a BOOT DISK that is
NOT made from ME.
You probably can run it by making a shortcut to trlog.exe also and then it
will run in the dos window mode. Since you cannot access real mode dos
easily (patches are available or you could set up a dual boot with a real
mode dos
see this link for the patch information and why or why not to use it
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/2000-09-14.htm)
there may be timing problems with the CW that is generated.
I think WIN ME is a failure, nobody who has WIN98 SE really needs it except
in rare case. It is a WASTE of money.

Unfortunately newer machines come with it.

Another suggestion is to go read the Langalist information about how to
create boot disk. Use it. You should have it anyway with dos tools for the
inevitable day that you need low level access to your computer.

Here is a link on how to make a good boot disk.

http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/16.htm