[TRLog] pin 14

Subject: [TRLog] pin 14
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 05:37:34 -0500
Jeff:

At 04:26 AM 10/23/00, you wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me why the paddle input does not work?
>I have made the lead as detailed but I do not seem to get the 5v on pin 14
>of the  parallel port,
>I had the same problem with the Icom control lead and resorted to an
>external 5-0-5 supply.
>None of the reference works I have consulted show 5v on pin 14 but all
>seem to suggest it is "Printer select" or Aux O/P 1.
>Is the printer select supposed to be held on by the program giving logic
>high on pin 14? if so why is it not.

Look at your LOGCFG.DAT file using NOTEPAD or some other text editor program.
The first few lines should look something like this:

MY CALL = <your call here>
CONTEST = FIELD DAY
DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
PADDLE PORT = 1

If the last two lines, above, are missing, then this is your problem. You
can manually edit them in and re-save the file.

NOTE that if you use TRLog's automatic configuration utility, as most do,
when it propmts whether you want to use SIMULATOR, be sure to respond "NO".
Otherwise it will not bother to prompt you for a keying output port OR for
a paddle input port.

What I usually do is to tell the configurator that I do NOT wish to use
SIMULATOR (even when I do), and then once the LOGCFG.DAT file has been
created, I use <Ctrl-J> to turn SIMULATOR ON, and then I use NOTEPAD to
edit the file, placing semicolons in front of the lines (usually the KEYER
RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1 and PADDLE PORT = 1 lines) I wish to
temporarily disable while running simulator. These lines are 'remarked' out
because they use the LPT port which may still be connected to my printer
when I'm in SIMULATOR mode and I don't want CW keying pulses sent to the
printer while I'm practicing/playing. See example below.

MY CALL = N0SS
CONTEST = FIELD DAY
DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
SIMULATOR ENABLE = TRUE
;Remove the ';' from the next two lines to enable CW output & paddles
;KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
;PADDLE PORT = 1

Then, when I've managed to get my LOGCFG.DAT file completely beaten into
submission and ready for the contest, I re-edit the file to remove the
semicolons and re-enable the "REMARKED" lines.

There may be easier ways to have your cake and eat it too, but I'm not
aware of them.

73 - Tom Hammond  N0SS