[TRLog] Log Submission and Times Off

Subject: [TRLog] Log Submission and Times Off
From: andy@petersonkids.com (Andy Peterson)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:46:24 -0500 (EST)
Doc, N7DR wrote:
> Which leads one to wonder how it knows when I was merely listening. Or
> doesn't listening time count as "on" time any more?

I was wondering the exact same thing.. perhaps it's such an insignificant
amount of slop that The Powers That Be thought it could slide..
It'd be interesting to see the average "listened but didn't make a
QSO" times for competetive stations.

> PPS Confession time: I haven't yet tried this (I don't have a Cabrillo-
> capable version of POST on my shack computer) so maybe it's trivial. I'm
> going to have to generate a real log and a check log (for different bands)
> for CQWW slopbucket. In the past I would just tell POST to generate
> separate logs for each band, and then tell the CQWW checkers which was the
> real log and which the check logs in my covering e-mail. Does POST let one
> generate band-by-band Cabrillo logs as well? Or do I have to generate the
> band-by-band logs in the old format first, and then separately walk through
> generating the Cabrillo logs by telling POST to Cabrillo-ize (!!) the logs
> one at a time?

Being a UNIX junkie, I'd reply with the quick answer "use grep!".
You can do this for DOS too.. find a grep clone (like the one at
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/txtutl/grep20ax.zip or your
favorite mirror).

Now you can feed commands like:
grep "^QSO: 14000" wholelog.cbr > 20log.cbr
grep "^QSO: 21000" wholelog.cbr > 15log.cbr
(etc.)

Come to think of it, this could become easy fodder for a .BAT file.
The only drawback being that it wouldn't capture the header info.

Ahah!  This will get the header info from the big file and copy it to all
the little ones.  This may or may not be advantageous, as it'll copy
things like the claimed-score from the big file..

grep -v "^QSO|^END-OF-LOG" > header.cbr

copy header.cbr 20log.cbr
grep "^QSO: 14000 " wholelog.cbr >> 20log.cbr
echo "END-OF-LOG:" >> 20log.cbr

copy header.cbr 15log.cbr
grep "^QSO: 21000 " wholelog.cbr >> 15log.cbr
echo "END-OF-LOG:" >> 15log.cbr
(etc.)

Given some time and pestering, I could be persuaded to post up some .bat
files..
-ap

73,
Andy Peterson NI4S