[TRLog] Changing SS check from last year

Subject: [TRLog] Changing SS check from last year
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:36:56 -0500
At 01:56 PM 11/7/00 EST, CHARLES P BAKER wrote:

>     I'd like to thank those of you TR users who mentioned that there
>were
>stations that sent a different SS check this year.  I noticed this, and
>was
>not going to admit that I'd seen it happen.  It would mean that I copied
>wrongly, either this year or last.  My own SS check is 37, which should
>indicate that I've had lots of years for practice, and should now be able
>to copy the code.
>
>     I did consider such things as committing hari kiri, or surrendering
>my
>license, or at least giving up strong drink.  Now that I find others
>who've
>encountered this phenomenon, and have the guts to admit it, maybe I'll
>hang on for another year.

Hi Charles -- As I said in my note, I came in with a decently low error
rate last year, when run through ARRL's log-checking software.  As long as
the rules don't require you to use a rigorously fact-based check, there
will always be a few people who think "gee, maybe I wasn't first licensed
in 1954... maybe it was 55... I'll use that this year."

Now I was a little baffled to see W1AW change from 36 last year to 38 this
year, but I listened several times after my QSO and they were consistently
sending 38.  As I recall, the log-checking software also identifies people
whose exchanges are busted disproportionately (because of bad CW or
whatever) and doesn't penalize their victims.  Either way, I'm not terribly
concerned, and certainly not embarrassed...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at