[TRLog] Last update

Subject: [TRLog] Last update
From: kbrown@powerhouseproductions.com (Kevin Brown)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:21:11 -0600
having been the one to actually find the virus,  it originally appeared as a
separate file, and was NOT part of Tree's message itself.  I in fact
received the 6.56 update, and have inspected that archive directly, and
found no virus.

Instead, the virus was sent blindly, in a separate email from
hahaha@sexyfun.net  (a fake address)  the file attached to that message had
a file extension type of SCR (normally referred to as screensavers, and in
fact are Exe files with just their extensions changed).

I do not believe 6.56 itself had a virus, but instead another subscriber had
it, and when Tree's message was received by that subscriber, their machine
(already infected) detected the origination of the email and replied using
the address as listed above (sexyfun.net)

Beyond all of that, it still remains my recommendation that everyone obtain
and aggressively maintain a virus scanning software.  I recommend PC-Cillin
found at:  www.antivirus.com