SV: [TRLog] CW problems

Subject: SV: [TRLog] CW problems
From: dl2zav@darc.de (Udo Lautenbach DL2ZAV)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:30:29 +0100
Hi fellow Europeans,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Clive Whelan <clive_whelan@btinternet.com>

> I was puzzled by your reference to having to use Shift F7 to get
> / as a European problem. Perhaps it is a function of SM or other
> keyboards, but not Eu per se.

Well, over here they keep telling us that, for the British, Britain and
Europe are two VERY different things. Can we agree to call it a Continental
problem? It's Shift-F7 in DL, too.

> In your autoexec.bat file, if you add the line "keyb uk" then
> isn't it possible to get the / character as a single key stroke
> using the key immediately to the left of the right hand shift
> key? No doubt "keyb us " would do the same thing.

This is no solution. Apart from the punctuation signs/special keys, we here
have QWERTZ instead of QWERTY, and that's what is in my fingers. Would
produce a lot of busted calls with keyb uk.

> I know that it was David/G3YXX who asked for the / character not
> to be counted in AUTO SEND CHARACTER COUNT, but I must say that
> I find this a nuisance and would prefer not to have it. Perhaps
> I have missed how to disable it? There is no way that I can get
> e.g. W7/DL3OI into the keyboard quickly enough, and my brain
> doesn't react quickly enough to use the start sending now key.

Well, people are different. I have to type real fast because I can't keep
the call in mind. So even with AUTO SEND CHARACTER COUNT = 6 sometimes I
start to send UA0XXX before he has finished his /MM. I often switch off the
AUTO SEND completely.

> Oh yes, a word for you guys with nice snappy calls of the type
> N#xx who like to swoop on me at 35wpm. There is no way that I
> can respond as quickly as you would wish/expect, else my fat
> fingers will generate QSD. That is one of the downsides of
> computer logging for me, as I can easily do it on the paddle.
> otoh if you send "de N#xx" it's not a problem, although the
> psychology of this is not *entirely* clear to me.

Probably kinda synchronizing effect.

73,
DE Udo