[TRLog] PK-232 Packet Setup - Help

Subject: [TRLog] PK-232 Packet Setup - Help
From: w2cs@ipass.net (Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:20:44 -0500
Dick,

It ain't rocket science, but sometimes it acts like it is :(  Remember, that
you HAVE changed one thing from when you use it with logplus, etc....The
software the PK is talking to: TRLog!  The two programs must agree or not
much communication will occur.

According to page 2-6, section 2.4.3, of my PK-232MBX manual, the computer
serial port parameters the PK232 expects are:

1200 baud
7 data bits
1 stop bit
EVEN parity

I note that you have:

2400 baud
8 data bits
? stop bits
NO parity  (Due to EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = TRUE)

Based on this, I suggest you set the following TR parameters as a starting
point:

PACKET BAUD RATE = 1200
EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = FALSE  (YES, FALSE!)

Yeah, I know there's a lot of folklore regarding the 8-bit packet port
setting, but I found the folklore did not apply in my installation, and I
don't think it applies to you, either.

If you look at the TRLog manual, section 6.7 on page 69, you will see that
TR defaults to 7 data  bits, 1 stop bit, EVEN parity.  (Sounds almost like a
perfect match.) Read that section. Based on what it says, you do **NOT**
want EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = TRUE.  That's probably your problem right
there.

Once they're talking, then you can play with baud rate.  I've run the PK
much higher than 1200.

GL/73,

Gary W2CS

| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Hi All,
| > |         I sent out a query a few weeks ago and got a few
| > | am still having problems trying to get my PK-232 to work with TR.
| > I have
| > | no problem using it with LogPlus or CT but can't make it play with
| > TR.
| > | The result is jibberish on the screen in CTRL-B mode.
| > |
| > |         I have set the following in the .CFG file:
| > |                 PACKET PORT = SERIAL 2
| > |                 PACKET BAUD RATE = 2400
| > |                 EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = TRUE
| > |
| > |         I also have a few other packet preferences set but I think
| > the
| > | problem may be related to something I have or have not done in
| > relation
| > | to the above commands.  Does it matter where these commands are in
| > the
| > | config file..i.e. - do they have to be Before or After something?
| > |         By the way when in TR and at the operating window I get
| > NO
| > | response with a CTRL-U command...that doesn't seem right either???
| >  I get
| > | the packet window with a CTRL-B but just jibbersih on the screen.
| > I have
| > | tried to re-cycle the PK-232 power so that it will adjust to the
| > correct
| > | baud rate and that doesn't seem to help either.  I even wired up
| > an
| > | adapter to bring in pins 2,3, and 7 ONLY into the 25 pin connector
| > on the
| > | back of the PK-232.  That didn't seem to help either.  LogPlus and
| > CT
| > | still work fine with only those pins wired.  It is a 9 pin on the
| > | computer end.
| > |
| > |          I usually operate Single Op, but like to use
| > packet(assisted
| > | mode) on occasion, especially when I have limited time available
| > for a
| > | contest...but I can't seem to make it play with TR.  Would like to
| > use TR
| > | exclusively but I need some help????
| > |
| > | Thanks and 73's