[TRLog] SBDVP Problems

Subject: [TRLog] SBDVP Problems
From: Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net (Steve London)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:53:47 -0700
I'm trying to get SBDVP working for the first time, and am seeing some
problems not previously mentioned on the reflector.

The configuration is a Win 98 PC, which came preinstalled with a sound card.
I have successfully used the sound card for other applications, using the
mike, line-in and speaker out ports.

As is typical for a Win 98 machine, the autoexec.bat and config.sys files
are virtually empty - I presume that entries like "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
T4" must be buried in one of the Windows configuration files.

The following steps were done in a DOS window under Win 98:

Excuting SBDVP seemed normal:

program sbdvp Version 1.0.1
IRQ = 5
BASEIO = 220
DMA = 1
SBTYPE = 4
nearest rate is 12048 Hz
Attenpting reset of sound card
Successful

I started TR (6.56) , set ENABLE DVP = TRUE, went to the SSB mode, saw the
"DVP ON" display, toggled the DVP with Alt-K a few times.  So far, so good.

I  hit Control-F1, and entered a recording.  I then hit F1 to play back the
recording - nothing but a motorboating sound that continued forever.  Only
hitting ESC stopped the motorboating sound.  I  hit F2 (which had no
recording), and all was quiet - good.  I recorded on F2, and again, had the
motorboating sound.

SBDVP -u looked normal, saving  CQF1.DVP and CQF2.DVP files.

I set up a SBDVPCFG.DAT file to restart SBDVP from the prerecorded DVP
files. No change - the motorboating continued.

I repeated the experiment by booting directly into DOS (by hitting F8 while
the PC was booting up).  No change - still the motorboating sound.

Suggestions greatly appreciated !

73,
Steve, N2IC/0