[TRLog] Program to convert Cabrillo to ADIF

Subject: [TRLog] Program to convert Cabrillo to ADIF
From: ve3iay@rac.ca (Richard Ferch)
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 08:46:00 -0400
For anyone who is interested in converting contest logs into ADIF (for
importing into QSLing and general logging programs, etc.), I have written a
DOS program called CBR2ADIF that reads Cabrillo files and converts them to
ADIF. Since most contest logging programs (including TRLog) can now create
Cabrillo (or "near-Cabrillo") files, this can be an easy way to get contest
logs into ADIF.

The output ADIF file has some special features which you may find
interesting. I have tried to produce as "complete" an ADIF file as possible
(e.g. including sent and received RS(T)s and TX power, converting ARRL
Section info in SS into state, province and CQ zone, and so on). For
contests with two possible exchanges (e.g. ARRL 10 meters, where the
exchange may contain either a state/province or a serial number), the
program has the "smarts" to recognize which is which and translate them into
the correct ADIF fields. The one major exception to this "as smart as
possible" approach is that the program does not try to parse the call sign
to determine the ADIF "dxcc" field.

Recently there have been a couple of messages to the TRLog reflector about
getting exact frequency information into the log. For those (like me) who
like to use TRLog with the LOG FREQUENCY ENABLE = TRUE option, I have
written an additional utility program, CBRFRFIX, which can read the
frequency data from the contest log and put it in the Cabrillo file (HF
bands only). Note that if the contest has serial numbers as part of the sent
exchange, you must use POST /L /C to produce a log file containing serial
numbers, use POST /F and POST /C to convert that new log file to Cabrillo,
then use CBRFRFIX to add frequencies from the original log file into the
Cabrillo file. Finally, use CBR2ADIF to produce an ADIF file which will
contain both frequencies and serial numbers.

These programs (not yet thoroughly tested at this point; "buyer" beware) can
be found at http://www.storm.ca/~ve3iay/cbr2adif.html .

For anyone who is looking for an alternative method to perform this task, I
have also put some suggestions for using a spreadsheet program (like Excel
or Lotus or Works) to convert to ADIF from a space-delimited format (like
Cabrillo) in page "spreadsh.html" at the same web site.

Comments, bug reports, etc. are welcome.

73, Rich
VE3IAY