[TRLog] Question on Cabrillo generation

Subject: [TRLog] Question on Cabrillo generation
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:04:26 -0500
On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 07:37:23PM -0400, Jack wrote:

>   I have version 6.58 of TR, and was experimenting on entering contacts
> and grid squares as preparation for next weekend's ARRL VHF contest. No
> problem entering data; TR is a very efficient program. Where I have a
> problem is in the Post program, and specifically the Cabrillo generator.
> It asks for grid sent (by me). When I finished answering the prompts, I
> exited Post and decided to look at the .cbr file using Notepad.
> Basically looked like it should, but in ARRL section it had the grid
> square of FN20 where it SHOULD have by section, which is SNJ. At no time
> did Post ask for my ARRL section.

It asked you for the grid you sent so that it could fill in the sent
exchange information in each QSO line.

It _should_ ask you for an ARRL section, but it doesn't.  This is a "bug"
in POST that has been around since before the January VHF Sweepstakes.
The solution (for now) is to edit the .cbr file in NOTEPAD, changing the
grid square to the official section abbreviation for your section
(i.e. "WNY".)

>   The question is: should the program have asked for ARRL section where
> it asked for the grid I sent? What should I do? I'd like to use TR next
> weekend if I can. Thanks.

In the grand scheme of things, this is really a small, small thing to
worry about.  I always review my Cabrillo files in a text editor before I
email them in to make sure everything looks right, anyway.

> --
> de N2MPU Jack FN20pe
> Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CPRail and D&H in N
> Proud NRA member
> You can learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:       http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops