[TRLog] First try at SO2R

Subject: [TRLog] First try at SO2R
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:17:49 +0000

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:50:30 -0500 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

> I've been inclined to run Two Radio Mode = False because that seems
> little more forgiving, particularly for someone who is used to
> hearing his
> CW being sent and concerned about being confused by the two radios
> transmitting automagically.  However, after I finish a QSO on the
> S&P
> radio, the manual says the software should switch back to the run
> radio and
> to CQ mode.  Neither thing happens.  This is the case regardless of
> which
> radio is the run radio, and which one is S&P.  If I use Alt-R to
> switch
> back to the Run radio, it too is now in S&P mode, requiring an extra
> keystroke.
>
> I'm sure there's something I'm missing here...

Nope. The program works exactly as you described it. Either a
bug has crept in, or the manual is in error. I wouldn't know which,
since I always use two radio mode = true.

If the auto cq's bother you, you can do the following:

set two radio mode = true

erase the cq message contained in cq memory ALT-F3 (this is the
dummy cq).

Instead of pressing ENTER to send your S&P exchange, press F2. This
is a good idea anyway, because if the guy needs a fill, you will
still be connected to the correct radio to send the fill.

When you are ready for a cq on the run radio, press ENTER to
log your S&P qso and start the cq on the run radio.

> What do people advise -- should I run in TRM = False, or suck it up
> and try
> TRM = True, which seems to operate entirely as described in the
> manual?  Or
> maybe go with Dueling CQs mode?

Sweepstakes is so slow on saturday evening and all day sunday,
that it's the best opportunity of any contest to use the trm=true.

I would recommend TRM=true, using F2 to send the S&P exchange.
That's the way I always do it.

I don't think duelling cq's is a good idea.

See you in SS!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com