[TRLog] The end of MS-DOS as we know it

Subject: [TRLog] The end of MS-DOS as we know it
From: w4zw@comcast.net (W4ZW)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:51:05 -0500
I agree.

I routinely run TR without problem on several Windows machines here.
The primary one is an old Pentium running WIN95 that I've used for
years.  TR runs well under WIN 98SE and WIN98ME, and except for CW
keying runs well under WIN2000.  There, in order to get smooth keying, a
driver would be needed to bypass WIN2000's need to control everything.
I've not tried it under XP, but it should run OK if XP is set to run it
as "legacy" software.  I have always personally liked NT, but WIN2000
runs just as well without the hassle of continually having to fight the
driver battle.  Many of us use laptops and they are nearly all designed
now for Windows and USB ports.

I, too, have LINUX here and it's great if you have a DP background.  It
looks and feels like UNIX and if you know how to run it, it's absolutely
great; however, the vast majority of folks run some version of Windows.
Add to that that most of the modern software available today is designed
to run under Windows and Windows becomes the logical choice.  Nearly all
the current hardware and drivers are designed around Windows and the USB
and firewire ports have become the new standards for porting.

Having a multi-tasking OS that will run two radios, rotor control, band
(antenna) selection, a network, and packet smoothly should be the
target.  Now the economics of that goal is an entirely different matter.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable SW fee (<$250) for a Windows
version.

My 2 cents and that's overpriced.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"