Re: [Trlog] voice recorders

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] voice recorders
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:35:05 -0700
Hi Dave,

Not sure what you mean in statement #1. I routinely run sbdvp with the mic plugged into the sound card and the sound card output plugged into the patch connector on my MkV. The mic and recordings coexist just fine as evidenced by the laughter produced in a contest which required Q number plus a piece of info which never varied. e.g, 319 Jim BC. In my enthusiasm I many times hit Enter to send the exchange while simultaneously saying the Q # . While this does speed up the response it tends to lead to more fills.

I don't plug the mic into the MkV mic input anymore since I discovered that the mic and patch inputs are in parallel. I discovered this when I first started using DVP. I kept hearing the DVP messages coming from some mysterious place. It turned out that they were coming from the (dynamic Heil) mic.

2. I ran a test with a local. He couldn't tell the difference between sbdvp recordings and live speech via Heil HC4. I'm careful to make the recordings in exactly the same environment as when operating.

Clicks don't seem to be an issue. I seem to remember something about there being a difference between 16 and 32 bit sound cards or something. Anyway, with my old Creative AWE64 there are no clicks. I do all my recordings using the Goldwave sound editor. It's marvellous for getting everything to have the same loudness. No doubt others can do this just as well. If you do have clicks, you can use the editor to delete them.

3. SO2R - no comment. I'm not there yet.

There was a comment about trickiness of setup. Nothing particularly tricky about sbdvp, just that the documentation isn't all that clear and no one has got around to totally fixing it.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Dave Hachadorian wrote:

1. Audio output from the sound card does not include live microphone audio, so a merger of the two audio sources, (one high level, and the other microphone level), is required.

2. Quality is ok, but there are some clicks in the audio on recorded messages.

3. Not all of the two-radio functions work.