Re: [Trlog] Keystroke Echo

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Keystroke Echo
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:49:38 -0900
Subject: [Trlog] Keystroke Echo

> I am using DXTelnet running under Win98 to act like a Packet TNC for TR Log
-snip
> I am able to send spots and the receive spots. However, when I use ctl-B to
> bring up the packet screen and then type commands, I do not get an echo of
-snip
 > 1. Is anyone else using this method to connect to the Internet and send and
> receive spots in TR Log?

Yes

> 2. If you are, do you have the same problem with having to key 'blind' ?

I also don't see the echo. I have never noticed this before as I use a radio
connected to the program and TRLog can read the freq allowing me to
use the "`" key. With (packet spots edit  =  true),  I do not have to use
the Ctl B window to edit the spot before sending.

> If anyone has a suggestion on how to set some parameter or option to allow
-snip
> Tod, KØTO

I just spent some time trying to find a work around. I can see this might be
a problem for folks without the radio interface. TRLog just sends the
characters to the TNC program and I couldn't find a way to get DXTelnet
to echo back. I think the old Heathkit TAPR TNC had the command
"echo on" which would work here. I tried using the DXTelnet in TNC
mode and that does allow you to see the keystrokes on the TNC side
at least, but you can't run the TNC and Telnet program at the same time.
One or the other grabs the serial port.

I have a pretty old version of DXTelnet so they may have added "echo
on" to the AUX file options. The author has always responded quickly
to me for any requests for feature adds. Might drop him a note to see how
to do it.

Tree could probably fix this easy unless there is some coding issue.

Geo, K5TR, may know a quick TRLog fix, but I couldn't find it myself.

Rich KL7RA