[Trlog] RTTY issues

To: TRLog <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] RTTY issues
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 29 Feb 2004 09:34:16 -0600
Between the RTTY WPX and yesterday's RTTY NAQP, I switched main radios
from an IC-765 to a FT-1000MP.

With the MP, I had to turn rig control off.  TR thought it was in CW
mode, and would switch the program to CW - at which time the F-key
messages would be sent out the CW interface, instead of to the TNC.  You
could use alt-M to switch modes to RTTY, but the next time the rig was
polled, it would switch back to CW.  The radio itself stayed in RTTY
mode.  I don't think F10 (for manual sending) worked either - IIRC those
keystrokes were sent as CW also.

Setting MULTIPLE MODES = FALSE simply made it impossible to use alt-M to
get out of CW mode - it didn't lock TR in the RTTY mode in which the
last QSO was made.

It didn't do this with the IC-765.

More a hint than a bug: don't redefine F10 in RTTY mode.  Playing around
before the contest, I put a long CQ in CQ memory F10.  It transmitted OK
- but it also transmitted at the beginning of every other F-key
message.  I need to experiment more with this.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66