Re: [Trlog] XP and TR

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] XP and TR
From: Mike Gilmer <n2mg2@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 05:39:14 -0700 (PDT)
If you can talk your IT guy into it, I think you'd be
better off with a dual-boot arrangement - Win2K
handles this quite well.  I did this on a Dell laptop
2 years ago.  It's set up with a small DOS partition
(for that pesky DOS-based ham radio stuff) and a much
larger one for Win2K.  During boot it asks which one I
want and defaults to Windows if I do nothing.

It also has no DB-9 serial ports, so I used a PCMCIA
device:

http://www.psism.com/pca-ser2.htm

(not cheap but works like a charm)

You also might do well to look for an older used
laptop for the radio stuff - one with real serial
ports - and stick Win98 on it.

Mike N2MG

--- K4XU wrote:
> My W98 Dell laptop died while mobile during the
> Oregon QSO party. I need to replace it but all the
> new available units are USB only and run XP or W2k.
> Our corporate IT guy, who has to support my L/T
> decision, suggested I put a reduced W98 version on a

> USB plug-in "thumb drive" and run the DOS session
> from there rather than resorting to Partition Magic
> or one of the other suggested work-arounds. At $30
> for 128M it certainly seems reasonable.
> Anyone have comments on this strategy?
> Are available USB to RS232 converters okay with
this?