[Trlog] HALP! K2/100 and KIO2 seem DEAF to serial comms.

To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net, trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] HALP! K2/100 and KIO2 seem DEAF to serial comms.
From: Tom Hammond <n0ss@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:15:08 -0500
Hi Folks:

Posting this to both the Elecraft and the TRLOG reflectors, in the hop that someone can assist. Not sure if it's a TRLOG or an Elecraft (or OPERATOR) problem.

Interesting failure here... one which also occurred the morning of Field Day 2004 (perfect timing, right?).

When running TRLOG from a DOS window in Win98SE:

   When EITHER the KPA100 or the KIO2 are connected to the
   'built-for KIO2/KPA100' serial cable, either device can
   SEND data to my laptop, running TRLOG, but NEITHER will
   acknowledge data SENT from the laptop to the KIO2/KPA100.

   I can have the PORT parameter send the current frequency
   TO the laptop and it displays on the laptop... so I know
   that it's receiving data from the K2 when it's being polled,
   IF it was being polled.

   However, if I have TRLOG to send to the KIO2/KPA100 any
   command (a band change comment for instance), I can see
   (with my o'scope) the data at the input (pin 6) to the
   MAX1406, but I see no output (pin 11) from the MAX1406.
   Not even a faint whimper.

To further compound my confusion...

When having booted to DOS (either from within Win98SE or from a cold boot), as soon as I boot TRLOG and the main screen appears, I get a "RADIO ONE POLLING DISABLED" message. Doing a [Ctrl-J] and resetting RADIO ONE POLLING to TRUE results in TRLOG NOT allowing me to save the changes..! So polling remains disabled. Go figger.

The serial cable (the one specially made to interface the K2 to the Laptop has been confirmed to be wired correctly... heck it's worked for several YEARS before starting to fail, and I have NO intervening 'serial' cables which might much up the connection.

On the K2, PORT is set to 'ON'.

Any suggestions out there? I'm open to all suggestions.

Oh yeah, yes, I JUST replaced the MAX1406 (serial comms) chip in both the KPA100 and the KIO2 with new ones... in case the old ones were bad... couldn't tell for certain, but I AM fairly confident that I was seeing serial data coming to the RXD line, but not being passed thru the previous MAX1406 to its output.

73,

Tom Hammond N0SS