[Trlog] Re: Trlog Digest, Vol 23, Issue 8

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] Re: Trlog Digest, Vol 23, Issue 8
From: Paul Kirley <pkirley@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:16:29 -0500
At 05:24 AM 11/9/04 -0500, VE7FO wrote:
>Lately my computer has taken to running something
>called findfast which I presume builds an index on the contents of a
>bunch of files.  However, it's really arrogant how it goes about it,
>believing that it's more important than some other processes that are
>running.  At one point, it stopped TR while in the middle of a dah,
>causing me to transmit a steady carrier in a pileup for many seconds.
>
>I can get rid of it (and osa which I think is part of it) by hitting
>CTRL-ALT-DEL, scrolling down the list box and ending the task.  However,
>after a while, it's back, doing it's self-important busyness.  Can
>anyone tell me how to kill this thing so it doesn't come back to life?

>From the Excel Help File:

Ways to speed up file searches with Find Fast
Find Fast creates indexes on your computer   Microsoft Office programs use Find
Fast to speed up file content and property searches in the Find dialog box
(Tools menu in the Open dialog box). When Find Fast is installed with Office,
it automatically creates an index on each local volume of your computer to
index all your Office documents. (Find Fast indexes are not created on
removable drives or read-only mediums, such as CD-ROM drives.) Once created, an
index is automatically updated. This means you don't need to do anything to
take advantage of faster searching.

Change or create new indexes   If you want to create indexes for network
folders or change an existing index, double-click Find Fast  in Windows Control
Panel. Information for each indexing task is then displayed, including the
drive, share, and folder location of the indexed documents, and the date the
index was last updated. You can view additional details about a Find Fast
index, such as the number of documents indexed and the size of the index, by
clicking Information in the Update Index dialog box (Index menu).

For more information about creating, deleting, and updating indexes by using
Find Fast, click Help in the Find Fast dialog box.

Good luck killing this turkey.

73, Paul W8TM