Re: [Trlog] Computers at an Expedition

To: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>,TRlog reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Computers at an Expedition
From: Paul Erickson <va7nt@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:45:06 -0800
George Fremin III wrote:
On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 11:29:17AM -0800, Paul Erickson wrote:

Computers at an expedition

Having recently been responsible for the computer network of a dxpedition,(my first) I thought I would try to pass along a few things I learned in the process in an effort to help anyone else who might find themselves in a similar position/situation.

Having done this for a dxpedition as well - I think your comments are quite good.

I found that unlike a contest the dxpedition really has little need for the networking of computers. Adding a network increases
the level of complexity that I was not willing to deal with.

Each computer just kept a running log for whatever was worked on it and each day I wnet around and did a savelog
to floppy and merged these all together on my computer thus updating the 'master' log.

Hi George,

While you make a good point. I this case I was glad the network was there for redundancy purposes, because in addition to everything else I had to deal with, I also had a hard disk failure. I was fortunate enough to catch it quickly enough to get the data off it shortly before it died completely, but If the failure had happened while I was asleep, and if it hadn't been connected to another computer, a great deal of data would have been lost. While prior to the failure, I had broken the network of 4 into two networks of two, I'm really glad I wasn't dealing with standalones...

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."