Re: [Trlog] RE: Virtual PC & TR ?

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] RE: Virtual PC & TR ?
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:14:03 -0800
?>> Igor, UA9CDC wrote:

>> > Rick, there is one work around. Put 98SE onto your thumb drive
>> > instead of DOS and you have USB support.
>>
>> Really?  This would be most incredible, and requires booting to the thumb
>> drive on power up, right???

> Yes if you want to keep Win98 on a thumb drive. In my case it is on the hard
> drive. I have double boot (win 98 and Win XP)
> Running applications from the Dos box from Win98SE enables me to have access
> to USB keyboard, mouse, all the USB external devices (BELKIN USB to RS232
> works just fine for CAT).

My understanding was that I thought it was better to NOT run TR from within a WIN98(SE) "Dos Prompt"...especially looking at doing 5,000 QSOs or more???

I understand WIN98(SE) is necessary for the USB to PS/2 widget, and was able to get my external mini-keyboard working per your info but NOT my X-Keys Macro devices, which require proprietary non-standard drivers. It doesn't appear that I can "mix & match", but plan to call the X-Keys Tech folks next week and see if there is any possibility.

KD4D has sent me some FB info, and I'm going to have a computer guru ham friend see what he can do with the 256MB Thumb Drive I just bought at Radio Shack this morning :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA