[Trlog] TRLog and Windows Questions

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] TRLog and Windows Questions
From: "Carolyn Gyger" <pinkchicken@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:45:13 -0600
Although I have followed the discussions about running TRLog using bootable
CDs and USB sticks, I have to stay with Windows (98SE and XP PRO SP2). The
reason is that I am legally bllind, and unless I want to sit with my nose 3"
from my 21" monitor, I have to use magnification software which only works
with Windows. I just don't feel like spending another $300 for magnification
software limited to DOS apps. I use ZoomText Level 2.

I have been using TRLOG without any control functions (radio, CW, PTT, TU,
etc.) while I have been learning it. Now I'm ready to start hooking up the
interfaces, and I decided to ask some questions before trying something
which would end up frustrating me to the point of pulling my hair out.

Will Windows (any version) provide I/O services for a program running in a
DOS Window? I understand that I will probably have to use DirectIO or
UserPort with XP for LPT support.

Will TRLog running in a DOS window support USB devices such as microKeyer or
multiple serial port using the drivers bundled with the device.

Is there any good reason NOT to run TRLog in a DOS window on either slow
machines (166-300 MHz PIIs Win 98SE) or even fast ones (3 Ghz Intel with Win
XP PRO)?

If there is some terrible problem doing this, can anyone suggest a
workaround besides shelling out the dinero for a DOS magnification program?

Thank you *very* much for reading and any help you may provide.

Carolyn K0AN