Re: [Trlog] Serial Port Gone!

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Serial Port Gone!
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:00:58 +0000
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:32:08 -0500 "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
writes:

> I have had no luck getting the Gateway's second serial port to work.
>  This
> is essential for SO2R, of course, and without it, I may as well stay
> with
> the P100.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I might get the second
> serial port
> restored to normal service?

You didn't mention under what operating system you were running TR. If
it's Windows 98, some funny port reassignment stuff could be going on.
Try running under the DOS in Win98 by holding down the ctrl key during
boot-up, and select "command prompt only." (I think that's what it says.
I can't remember for sure).

Are both ports enabled in BIOS? There should be a message that flashes on
the screen durning boot-up, telling you how to access the BIOS setup. Go
in there and make sure both ports are enabled.

If none of that works, the port may have been damaged. In that case you
can add a pci card to give you another serial port. Here is a nifty $16
two-port pci card that works with dos or Windows, and takes only one irq:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124017

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA