Re: [Trlog] Trlog Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2

To: TRLog <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Trlog Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 07 Sep 2006 00:09:36 -0500
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:00, trlog-request@contesting.com wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:29:13PM +0500, Dmitriy UA4WLI wrote:
> > http://rescab.nm.ru/post4w.zip
>
> In the mean time, he has made this version of PostW available.

Interesting effort, looks good!
A bug report & a wish list:

- File, Open offers the opportunity to open a LOGCFG.DAT or *.CFG file,
but it seems to expect the file selected to actually be a log file.
(LOG.DAT)  Manually typing "log.dat" in the box works fine.

I wonder if it was expecting to find a "LOG FILENAME =" statement in my
LOGCFG.DAT?  I don't have one in mine - I always use the default of
LOG.DAT in the current directory.

If you tried this and found most reports come up empty and the OH2MM
reports cause a runtime error, this is probably why.

Wish list, in order of desirability:

- The ability to cause POST4W to create & save to disk *all* available
reports with a single button.  Use default filenames and titles where
necessary.  It may be necessary to parse some information from LOG.DAT
or to pop up some dialog boxes to request it.

- The ability to set a consistent title for all reports from one place.
Maybe a tab up at the top where you might put in "W9WI ARRL DX CW 2006";
each report would attach its name to the end of that string ("W9WI ARRL
DX CW 2006 - RATE BY BAND").  Preferably, the existing boxes at the top
of each report tab, where you enter the report titles now, would remain
and be pre-populated with this globally-set title.  By keeping the
existing boxes, you could change the titles of individual reports from
the global default if you wished.

- A default filename convention for reports that would not depend on
varying extensions.  (see the next wish list item)  It should contain
the station callsign (parsed from LOGCFG.DAT?  From the box on the
Summary Sheet or Cabrillo File tab?  From a dialog box?) and a few
letters describing the report.  Something like "w9wiratebyband.txt".

- Report output in HTML format.  This could be as simple as prepending
the contents of a header file & postpending the contents of a footer to
the same text contents as are in the report files right now.  (if the
last tag in the header was <PRE> and the first tag in the trailer was
</PRE> then this would work fine)

- Creation of a HTML index page.  Might start and end with the same
header/footer mentioned above, and contain lines like this:

<A HREF="{filename of report}">{title of report}</A>
i.e.
<A HREF="w9wiratebyband.txt">Rate by Band</A>

I don't *think* any of this would be too horribly hard to implement, and
it would sure make for some interesting post-contest reports online...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66