Re: [Trlog] Help Please CW Pause

To: Mark Bailey <kd4d@comcast.net>, trlog@contesting.com,Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Help Please CW Pause
From: W6SX Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 09:59:42 -0700
At 04:06 PM 03 05 2007, Mark Bailey wrote:

>This sounds like the CD drive is going to sleep and it is
>taking time to "wake up".
>
>Are you copying the DOS boot files and TRLog files into a
>RAM disk?

No.  DOS is on the CD and TR is on a FAT32 on the hard drive.

At 04:04 PM 03 05 2007, Tree wrote:

>sounds like something went to sleep.

> > Perhaps part of the same problem, after entering the received info
> > and hitting return, the 5NN CA is sent as 6NN CA.  I can fix this by
> > making the S&P exchange ^5NN CA.
>
>Is this in the speaker or the radio?

Radio.

My first thought was also some sort of sleep mode.  I went into the
BIOS and looked for sleep options and could find none.

Looking at, hearing things more closely, it appears to be the CD
drive.  When I type a call in the S&P field and hit return, sending
doesn't start for about four seconds when I can see the hard drive
light come on and see the CD drive light come on momentarily and hear
the CD drive start to turn.

So, on a whim, I opened the CD drive and tried again.  After letting
computer sit for half hour, now when I type a call in the S&P field
and hit return, sending is immediate.  And, don't need the ^ in S&P
exchange--the initial 5 sends as a 5 instead of a 6.

Problem solved?  I hope so.  Don't have an explanation.  Fingers are crossed.

Thanks Mark, thanks Tree.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California