[Trlog] No paddle inputs - SOLVED

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] No paddle inputs - SOLVED
From: "ke5c" <ke5c@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:58:00 -0500
For those of you who suggested an external source for the dit and dah
line pull up resistors, you WIN.  If you recall, I moved an existing
hard drive partition with FreeDOS and TR from a Dell desktop to a
Thinkpad T23, and I moved a parallel port interface adapter (originally
from K5TR) which was working on the same Dell to the T23, but I got no
paddle response even though I could send CW from the keyboard through
the same adapter.  Prior messages on this reflector had described a
similar problem, but in each of those cases, the computer sent
alternating dits and dahs whereas my computer sent nothing.  The answer
must lie in some electrical difference between the T23 and the Dell
desktop parallel ports.  To get 5v for the pullup, I hacked a USB cable
I was not using to grab the power and ground lines, and I just hard
wired that into my adapter so now I plug the USB cable into one of the
USB ports when I am using the T23 for FreeDOS/TR.  Thanks for all the
suggestions!  What a relief !!

73, john